The Best Love

Love is not interested in it's own way; but is preoccupied with the interests of others!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Guiding our children into fruitful lives

When I first found out I was pregnant with a girl I became very scared. I was afraid that she would fall into all the same sinful traps that I had, that she would endure painful expeirences that would scar her for life and I just wanted to save her from such torment. This is probably why you have heard me jokingly say, "I wish I had boys, because I hear they are much easier to deal with."
The only problem with my saving grace that I was trying to extend to my daughter by molding her and teaching her the way I thought was right in my own eyes, is that I am subject to my own sinful nature, and my grace didn't always appear to be a saving method, but more of a self propelled agenda of demanding submission and giving myself all power and control.
Until a few years ago, I was in a Women's Bible Study at our church and we were reading the book, "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp (The best book I have ever read on raising children, and I have read plenty!). God spoke to my heart and asked me if I trusted Him. My thought was, well yeah, of course I do, that is a simple answer; but the truth was I didn't really. So again God spoke and said to me, "She (my first born) is My child, I have blessed you with her, entrusted her to you, but you have to let Me build her testimony!"
Basically, what He told me was I needed to stop fearing what might happen to her and trust that no matter what happens in her life that He is in control, that all things are according to His will, and are used for good for those that love Him and are called according to His purpose. (Paraphrased; Romans 8:28)
Recently, I had an idea to write about some things I had learned while reading this book; as a form of rebuke to someone whom I would never have the courage to say anything to, face to face. So today, I took the book off my book shelf so that I would be sure to properly quote all of my points; and that soft still voice whispers in my ear, "Why are you trying to pick the speck out of someone else's eye, don't you see the log in your own?"
Ummm, can I just say, OUCH! Really He should of said, "don't you see the whole forrest in your own eye?"
Obviously, after the fight I had with my daughter this morning before school (what an awful way for her day to begin) and the prodding from God, I will be rereading this wonderful book on child rearing.
I realize yet once again, that I can not let my personal agenda get in the way of how I raise my children, unless my agenda is 100% biblical, and lets face it, that is impossible!
I can not try to shape and mold my children to have characterisics that I want them to have just so that they will perform a certain way. I need to pray for the guidance and wisdom from God on a daily basis, so that I can help them the develop the character  that He has destined for them! Does this mean I shouldn't teach my girls how to obey and be respectful? No, it means that I should teach by example. It means that I need to let the fruits of the spirit be evident in my life and show them how to make first things first. They need to see God at work in my life and He will make sure that through my obedience to Him that all things will fall into place for my children.
Proverbs 22:6; Train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it.

1 comment:

aundie said...

God is faithful... I thumbed through that book the other day. Particularly the teen section... ha ha I miss teaching bible study... maybe I'll get to teach one again someday. : )